Monday, January 1, 2007

Raging Bull (1980)



Director: Martin Scorsese
Starring: Robert de Niro, Joe Pesci

Martin Scorsese and Robert de Niro team up again, this time to tell the tale of self-destructive boxer Jake LaMotta. Robert de Niro delivers the acting role of his life and is frighteningly convincing from start to finish. Although this movie is definitely a masterpiece for Scorsese, I never really found myself caught up in the story and, by the end I didn't much care about what finally happened to LaMotta.
This movie is stacked with amazing, memorable fight scenes, and the characters are top notch, but I couldn't help but feel that Scorsese was making this film just to showcase his favorite actor, de Niro, and not to teach us a lesson or tell a story. I would recommend putting this movie at the back of your queue, because you might be disappointed with it, but I still suggest that you see it at some point, if only for superb acting and the assured directing from Scorsese, one of the best, most consistently interesting directors working today.
-Jack Lewers

Rating---7

1 comment: